It is finally cooling off in Northwest Arkansas, which means it’s time to have a little fun in the fashion department. I love fall fashion for one main reason, layering. I can re-wear the same five staple pieces over and over again in different ways. You can also take an item that may not be in season, and pair it with something trendy to update it.
If you are looking for some new pieces, though, here are my top ten picks for what you should be buying this fall.
1. Shorts: They are appropriate for both work and play if paired with a tight and boot. Stick with a neutral color short and tight for the office, but have fun at night with a patterned or bright colored tight. Urbanoutfitters.com
2. Duffles: Our love of menswear is expanding from blazers and oxfords to purses. It certainly has a man’s mentality: This bag is easy. It can be paired with anything. It can carry anything. Again, it’s the perfect bag for work and play. Who would have thought, you may not have to lug a purse and a work bag to the office…it can all be stowed in one. Voile, easy. Jcrew.com
3. Stripes: Stripes are a classic. A striped button down with a wide leg trouser is sophisticated. A striped tee with a pair of corduroys is relaxed and fun. Stripes are perfect for taking baby steps in pattern mixing. Pair with a floral or cheetah print for a foolproof fashion forward ensemble. Maude Boutique, Fayetteville
4. Blazers: Another classic piece that every woman should have in her wardrobe. It truly is another great investment that can be worn for work and play. Not to mention it can be worn with anything. Dresses, skirts, rompers, button-ups, T-shirts, you name it, you can put a blazer on it and make your look more sophisticated and interesting. Hm.com
5. Hats: Fall is the time to have a lot of fun with accessories. Think past jewelry. You can change an outfit completely with a hat, scarf, or tight. I usually stick to knit hats in the fall, but structured hats are in this year, and a lot more fun. Maude Boutique, Fayetteville
6. Scarves: I tend to wear a scarf almost every day in fall. Again, remember, they can change the entire look of the outfit you just wore three days ago. Print scarves are great to spice up a plain T-shirt or dress, or if you’re daring, mix with other patterns. But scarves in bold colors are great pops to our typically neutral colored fall wardrobes. Bananarepublic.com
7. Textured Tights: I won’t lecture you anymore about the opportunity to change a look, but seriously, wear textured tights!
8. Faux Fur: This one is a little tricky. I bought a faux fur vest last year and never took the tags off. I just couldn’t figure out how to wear it. Until I figure out how to sport it, I think a jacket with a little touch of faux fur is an easier, more wearable route. Urbanoutfitters.com
9. Camel: I love this color. It has a wide range of shades that truthfully can all be worn together without clashing. It is also a color that can be worn successfully with any other shade. Black, purple, pink, red, green…you name it, you can wear it with camel. Dress and top, Lola Boutique in Fayetteville; necklace, Rifraff in Fayetteville
10. Chunky Knit: What would fall fashion be without the chunky knit? Go plain, buy cheap drugs go patterned, go cropped or long. Juicycouture.com